LIGHTNING PROTECTION SYSTEM
Lightning protection system consists of External & Internal Lightning Protection System. External lightning protection system is achieved using Air terminal (Horizontal or vertical or both) , down conductor & earthing, whereas, Internal lightning protection system is achieved either by equi-potential bonding- i.e., connecting external & extraneous conductive parts to equi-potential bonding or using SPDs for conductive services- Power line, data line etc). Lightning is a natural phenomenon involving a very high quantum of electrical energy. The consequences of a lightning strike and transient over voltage or a power surge can be catastrophic for any facility or structure and its internal occupants & equipment. Lightning cannot be prevented and predicted. Hence it is imperative that one is adequately prepared at all times to protect against these dangerous natural phenomena.
Effective and reliable protection is the only solution.
IS/IEC 62305 clearly emphasizes the need for not only protecting the structure and people against lightning, but also to protect the electrical and electronic equipment located inside the structure from Conducted surges using SPD and radiated surges using Faraday cage type LPS. Standard elaborates lightning risk assessment methodology to arrive at the required level of protection for structure & its electronics.
JEF’s expertise is to provide extensive technical support related to Lightning protection viz. risk assessment, design & solutions to meet National and International Standards.
OUR LIGHTNING PROTECTION SYSTEM OFFERINGS
We offer comprehensive Lightning Protection systems providing end to end solutions covering risk assessment through advanced software, design, supply, installation, testing & commissioning
- Lightning Protection System as per IS/IEC 62305-2010
- Products meeting National and International Standards.
- LPS Products tested as per International standard IEC 62561 parts 1 to 7 .
- SPDs tested as per IS/IEC 61643-11 for Power and IS/IEC 61643-21 for data & signal
- Reliable and Customized Solutions.
- Risk Assessment software as per IS/EC 62305- 2.
- Design of LPS for new & existing structures.
- Technical Services for Adequacy Study for existing structures.
- Installation Services for External LPS & SPD
COMPLETE EXTERNAL LIGHTNING PROTECTION PRODUCTS TESTED AS PER IEC 62561
STANDARDS (10/350 ΜS LIGHTNING CURRENT WAVEFORM TESTED)
EXTERNAL LIGHTNING PROTECTION SYSTEM AS PER IS/IEC 62305-3
RISK ASSESSMENT SOFTWARE
Our Lightning Protection Risk Assessment Tool-JEF SHIELD is a customer centric tool based on IS/IEC 62305-2. This tool helps you to carry out complete risk assessment with few data about the structure & equipment that need protection. You can determine whether the structure is safe against lightning strikes within tolerable limits. If protection is required (i.e. if the calculated risk is above the tolerable level), the software guides you to select the appropriate protection and optimize the same. This is done by determining the extent of risk to the structure and comparing with the tolerable values. Once the optimized design (level of protection) is arrived at, the software helps you generate a BOQ and also arrive at an estimated cost for your tendering/budgetary purposes. The software helps in arriving at most economical solution starting with lowest external protection (LPL 4) with other LPMS techniques (LEMP- LEMP Protection Measures System) which is not at all possible using manual calculations.
LPS ADEQUACY STUDY:
External Lightning Protection System is designed to protect a structure from damage due to lightning strikes by intercepting such strikes and safely passing their extreme high currents to ground. Since it is not possible to predict the lightning strikes, it is advisable to take adequate protection against lightning strikes.
WHY WE NEED LPS ADEQUACY AUDIT
- Ascertain whether external & internal lightning protection system is provided for all the structures in the facility & if so provided, to which standard they conform to.
- If they conform to IS 2309 or NFC 17-102, then they are invalid, as highlighted in NBC 2016 and hence risk analysis to be done as per IS/IEC 62305 and recommendations to be implemented to bring the loss of human life and loss of economics under the tolerable levels.
- To reduce the losses due to lightning, protection measures MAY BE required. Whether they are needed & to what extent, should be determined by the Risk Assessment (IS/IEC 62305- 2)
Protection techniques that can be implement includes either standalone techniques or combination of different techniques:
- External Lightning protection as per LPL 1 to 4
- Co-ordinated SPD protection (Internal lightning protection)
- Fire protection (manual or automatic)
- Soil equi-potentialization/ Earthing
- Equi-potential bonding, shielding & routing.