As the technology develops, standards are revised or superseded to take into account the advancement (or complexities in the electronic boards) and precautions to be added to minimise the risk with in tolerable levels. Lightning protection system is no exception to this. Erstwhile IS 2309 was superseded by IS/IEC 62305 which is a comprehensive standard so that, not only structures and people are protected but also the electronics inside the structure. Because of this change, NBC- National Building Code & CEA- Central Electricity Authority regulations were also revised to adopt the recommendations given in IS/IEC 62305. Risk analysis of the building that needs protection is covered in detail, and this being a specialised activity, it has to be carried out by experts who are aware of the developments so that customers have their investment, well protected. Hence, it is mandatory to conduct an audit, collect data for risk assessment and implement the recommendations of risk assessment so that People, structure and all electronics inside the structure are well protected and within the tolerable levels.
Methodology of LPS adequacy study:
- Ascertain whether lightning protection system is provided for all the structures in the facility & if so provided, to which Indian/international standard they conform to.
- If they conform to IS 2309 or NFC 17-102, then they are invalid, as highlighted in NBC 2016 and hence risk analysis to be done as per IS/IEC 62305 and recommendations to be implemented to bring the loss of human life and loss of economics under the tolerable levels.
- To reduce the losses due to lightning, protection measures MAY BE required. Whether they are needed & to what extent, should be determined by the Risk Assessment (IS/IEC 62305- 2)
Protection techniques that can be implement includes either standalone techniques or in combination of different techniques:
- Lightning protection as per LPL 1 to 4
- Co-ordinated SPD protection
- Fire protection (manual or automatic)
- Soil equi-potentialization/ Earthing
- Equi-potential bonding, shielding & routing.