Power system studies are a crucial aspect in design of any electrical power system development or in expansion plan of existing system. Simulations and models are used to ensure that the electrical system, including system components, are properly defined to function as designed, handle the estimated load, and be protected against failures.
A power systems study is comprised of several electrical analysis & studies. The purpose of each is to create a power system that is safe, efficient, and reliable for your facility in both normal and abnormal conditions.
Power and Load flow studies are performed to determine the steady-state operation of an electric power system in terms of electrical parameters such Voltage, Current, Real Power, Apparent Power, Reactive Power and Power Factor.
Power System Study Overview
Application Area: Wind farms | Pooling substations | Solar photovoltaic power plant | Gas turbine power plants | Hydro power station | Distribution station – LV side
Reference Standards: IEC 60909-2016 | ANSI IEEE 551-2006 |IEC 61363-1998 | ANSI IEEE 3002.3-2018 | IEEE Std 519-2014 | IEEE Std 3002.8-2018 | IEEE242-200 | IEEE-399
Why Power System Studies?
- Ensure reliable and robust electrical system performing in all operating conditions, including transient conditions such as motor starts, non-linear loads and generator losses.
- Optimize component or circuit loading- whether normal loading or overloading.
- Identify real and reactive power flow- requirement of capacitors.
- Minimize kW and kVAR losses.
- Develop equipment specification guidelines -Transformers, Diesel Generators and UPS.
- Identify proper transformer tap settings in OLTC.
- To plan for the future development of the current system.
- To analyze systems under different fault conditions and based on different scenarios.
- For designing protection devices, as well as for investigating the system’s ability to handle minor and major interruptions or any errors.
Value Adds from JEF
- Study conducted by professional engineers having experience in conducting Power system Analysis.
- Detailed Report with the findings, recommendations for corrective action, load flow analysis, short circuit analysis, breaker co-ordination study and arc flash incident energy labels.
- Detailed risk assessment report including Equipment Label, establishing arch flash boundary zones, identifying safe working distance and using suitable PPE Category to be used for each equipment.
- Ensures Human and Equipment Safety
- Recommendations ensure compliance with latest Indian and International Standards.