The IEEE - 1159 classifies electromagnetic phenomena into several groups as shown in the table.
Implication of Poor Power Quality
Some of the implications of power quality are:
- Premature failure of Motors, Transformers, Capacitor banks and Rotating Machines.
- Malfunction of Controllers and protective devices such as fuses and relays.
- Unexpected power supply failures (breakers tripping, fuses blowing).
- Overheating, Generation of noise and reduced life of capacitors, surge suppressors, rotating machines, Transformers, cables etc.
- Increased energy losses leading to higher operating temperatures and consequent reduction in life of cables, Transformers, Rotating Machines.
Power Quality Survey & Analysis
- Site survey using Portable PQ Analyzers conforming to IEC 61000-4-30 Class A Ed-3 with 1 microsecond resolution
- Measurement of semi sub cycle and steady state voltage variations and waveform distortions.
- Data Analysis using advanced data Analytics software.
- Wave form signature analysis.
- Power system simulation studies.
- Preparation of detailed Power Quality report with recommendations to Mitigate Power Quality Problems